Mashariki publicly acknowledged her non-belief in religion and the supernatural in 2012, when she joined the freethought community by becoming a member of the Sacramento Freethinkers, Atheists and Non-believers (SacFAN) meetup group. She became an active member of that growing community through a variety of volunteer activities such as:
• SacFAN Adopt-A-Highway project
• 2013 participant in the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s California billboard campaign
• Class Volunteer at Sacramento County Juvenile Hall (assisted in leading a class developed to promote the idea of freethinking, as an alternative to the religious narratives currently offered to the young, female, Juvenile Hall residents)
• 2015 panelist at the Southwest Secular Student Conference
• Current Volunteer Coordinator for the annual California Freethought Day Festival
• Current Reason Center Board Member and Treasurer
• Co-Founder of the Black Humanists and Non-believers of Sacramento
In 2014 Mashariki co-founded meetup group, Black Humanists and Non-believers of Sacramento. The meetup group serves as an outreach and educational community group to provide a supportive and judgement free environment for African-American/Black non-believers, humanists, atheists, agnostics and skeptics. The group is also open to those questioning their religious beliefs and are seeking information on atheism/humanism/etc. On a broader level, the group also collaborates with the general freethought community via social and activist activities.
Mashariki is a native California girl, having lived in Sacramento her my entire life. She graduated from Cal State University- Sacramento in 2008 with a B.A. in Economics. She is a Certified Government Auditing Professional and also a member of the Academic Relations Committee with the Institute of Internal Auditors, Sacramento Chapter.
Follow Mashariki on Twitter